Friday, September 24, 2010

Then and Now Ads


I recently was browsing around a used bookstore in downtown Chattanooga, and stumbled upon what seemed to be hundreds of old issues of Life magazine. I spent quite a bit of time trying to chose just one to purchase (since they ranged in price from $8 - $25/magazine I could only get one). I finally found one - March 29, 1943 SPECIAL ISSUE USSR. I've always been very interested in WWII topics and was fascinated by the articles on Stalin's regime, the political cartoons of Adolf Hitler and the "Thousand Years of Russia's History" timeline near the back of the issue. Along with the actual meat of the magazine, I found the advertisements particularly interesting. While reading through I saw many familiar brands such as Listerine, Pepto Bismol, Campbell's and others. I thought it would be interesting to compare the ads of a few of these ever so popular brands from then and now.





1 comment:

  1. I though the Aunt Jemima from now and then was quite surprising in terms of political correctness!

    ReplyDelete